Get Insurance For Your Converted Campervan

Getting your brand new converted VW campervan is an exciting experience. Having a campervan represents many things – freedom, sustainability and adventure being among them.

In all the excitement however, it’s easy to forget about a few details. Namely, how your new vehicle is classed under the law – and therefore, the small matter of how you will buy insurance for it.

As we all know, every vehicle on the roads needs to be insured in case of an incident. But larger vehicles usually cost more to ensure, and a campervan is essentially a small home on wheels. Doesn’t that mean it’ll cost a fortune to cover?

The answer is not necessarily. You might be pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive coverage can be when you go to a specialty campervan insurer, so don’t let the matter of insurance put you off your dream of camping all over the country and the world!

One of the first things you’ll need to do is prove that your vehicle is, in fact, a campervan. You and I might know perfectly well that it is, but your insurer will have a strict definition of the term that must be satisfied in order to qualify for the best kind of cover.

The definition will usually be something along the lines of ‘a vehicle with sustainable living quarters’ but may also include clauses specifying that such features as a sink or a cooker must also be fitted.

It’s up to you whether you want to do this research before the conversion, and outfit the features you need to get the best deal – or whether you build to your own specifications, and seek an insurance plan afterwards.

However, going with the first option, you’re still not guaranteed to get the plan you want, as the company may deny you for some other reason. Then you’ll be stuck with a campervan you didn’t really have your heart set upon.

You’ll find that insurance companies have long lists of criteria for campervans, usually specifying things such as minimum bed sizes, cupboards and placement of windows. If you don’t fulfil all of the requirements, you can still get covered – just not necessarily as a campervan.

If that’s the case, your vehicle might be defined by the insurer as an ordinary van.

It might sound like a good idea to have your vehicle insured as if it were simply a van, as the premiums will be lower. But that means any potential payout in the case of a claim will also be lower, and you won’t necessarily be able to claim for contents such as furniture and appliances. So it’s always best to insure for the full amount.

Lastly, you may need a certificate from the company carrying out the conversion. Naturally, we’ll be happy to provide this, as well as work with you to ensure your vehicle meets the standards of your chosen insurer.

Leave a Reply